Radiology Techs perform x-rays for diagnostic purposes for both illness and injury. They are responsible for accurately positioning patients and ensuring that a quality diagnostic image is produced while following established radiologic requirements and regulations to ensure patient care and safety.
Some Radiology Techs also have experience utilizing fluoroscopy and C-arm machines. Fluoroscopy (fluoro) is a study of moving body structures. Fluoro, as an imaging tool, enables physicians to look at many body systems, including the skeletal, digestive, urinary, respiratory, and reproductive systems. It is utilized for many different types of diagnostic and interventional procedures/surgeries. Professionals with this experience may work in General XR, OR (inpatient or outpatient), Interventional Radiology, and/or Cardiac Cath Lab amongst other departments.
Duties/responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Prepare examination room, equipment, and instruments per patient needs
- Identify correct patient and verify the order, explain procedure to the patient
- Position patient correctly for radiological procedures
- Operate x-ray/fluoro/c-arm machine according to established procedures to ensure patient safety and comfort, shield patient from radiation as needed
- Perform diagnostic medical radiographic procedures and studies with a thorough understanding of standard radiography and fluoroscopy.
- Assist the radiologist in fluoroscopy procedures.
- Constant adherence to radiation safety according to ALARA standards
- Develop, process, and select radiological film
- Answer patient questions as they relate to the procedure
- Operate within radiologic standards of care
- Document patient care records in accordance with outlined policies and procedures
- Reviews each examination for technical accuracy, presents completed examination to radiologist, and communicates pertinent data to persons responsible for the care of the patient following the procedure.
- Assumes responsibility for assigned area; controls inventory of supplies for assigned area and cleans and disinfects exam rooms and equipment as needed.
- 1-2 years recent relative work experience as a Radiology Tech utilizing fluoro/c-arms (not including clinical rotations)
- Current ARRT certification
- State License (if required per state)
- Current BLS
- Current TB Screen
- Valid Photo Identification/Driver's License
- Successful completion of a Background Check and Medely's screening process