The Sterile Processing Technician cares for and maintains all surgical instrumentation from decontamination through sterilization and distribution throughout the facility. The technician also maintains all sterility records for the facility.
- Knowledge of reusable surgical instrumentation, microsurgical instrumentation, and power equipment.
- Knowledge and operation of sterile processing equipment (washers, steam, gas, ultrasonic and chemical sterilizers).
- Knowledge/experience with high level disinfection processes and different types of sterilization materials and equipment to choose the appropriate method of sterilization for particular equipment or supplies.
- Decontaminates and sterilizes instruments, medical supplies and equipment, and assembles, wraps and sterilizes trays of instruments. Follows proper Standard Precautions while in decontamination and sterilization areas.
- Monitors biological and chemical wash solution to ensure quality and consistency for decontamination of instruments and medical equipment.
- Organized in setting up operating room instrument tray.
- Document and maintain accurate sterilization records.
- Inspect, assemble and test general and specialty instrumentation for proper functioning.
- Verifies that equipment functions properly, requisitions for equipment maintenance, repair or replacement, and removes defective equipment. Perform simple maintenance on equipment (i.e.: clean filters and drains).
- Sorts mismatched sets of instruments, trays, and medical equipment and makes them available to sterile processing customers in a timely manner.
- Restocks, labels, and maintains inventory, submits requisitions, collects and distributes instruments, trays, crash carts, and facility medical equipment.
- Assists with maintaining established departmental policies and procedures, objectives, and quality improvement, safety, and environmental and infection control standards.
- Familiarity with medical terminology and departmental supply items is required.
- 2 years recent working experience as a sterile processing technician (not including clinicals)
- Current BLS Card
- Current TB Screen
- Preferred: Maintains Certification for Central Processing
- Valid Identification/Driver's License
- Successful completion of a Background Check and Medely's screening process